Tuesday, May 25, 2010

TKAM. The 7th post!!

Choice A: Most of the local people in Maycomb felt that it would be a disgrace for a black person to win in a dispute with any with a white person, so they took Bob Ewell's side. Have you ever been in a situation where someone took a side that they obviously knew was wrong? How did this make you feel?


I feel like I’ve been in plenty of situations similar to this one, but I can’t seem to name a specific time. I know for sure that I’ve experienced those feelings and it’s happened to me though. I see it happen to others too, but I was only as a bystander. It’s still not fair though.

In these kinds of situations it starts out as a small problem, or maybe not so small, but it grows and develops into something bigger.

When this happened to me, I think I was arguing with my cousin over this charm necklace that her dad found in the sofa cushions. I saw and claimed it as mine, because my mom and I went to this cultural Native American fair at Balboa Park where she had bought two of them, one as a gift for my teacher, and the other for me of course. But before I made my claim, my uncle had asked if it was my cousin’s. After I make my claim, my cousin decided to say that its hers! We started arguing about the necklace and who it belonged to, but I just couldn’t understand why. I’m sure she knew it wasn’t hers, so why even bother?

It made me so frustrated, because I lost that necklace! It was mine, and she had no right to go and claim it after I specifically told her my story. She didn’t even have one. It made me feel like such a loser afterwards, because I knew I had to give in, and there was no way I could win. But even my uncle said it was hers! Wow. It’s like Tom Robinson’s trial. I’d represent Atticus’s side, telling my whole story, and my cousin represents Bob Ewell’s, who wins by having more authority. In this case, the people of Maycomb would be counted as my uncle, who decided to go for my cousin because she’s his daughter! Maycombians voted for Ewell because of race.

No comments:

Post a Comment